Why We Dj - Slaves to the rhythm
In a revealing new documentary investigating the reality of what being a professional DJ is really like, from the hype and parties to relentless touring and the toll that can take on both physical and mental health.
Following the success of last year's ‘The Underground Sound of Paris’, ‘Why We DJ – Slaves To The Rhythm’ delves deep into the psyche of the DJ, exploring the motivations that drive people to pursue a career behind the decks in the first place and the effects it can have.
In refreshingly candid interviews from artist managers, tour managers, Psychologists, music industry professionals and DJs including Carl Cox, Luciano, Seth Troxler, Erick Morillo, B.Traits, Ben Pearce and Pete Tong MBE we hear stories of the lofty highs and plunging lows DJs can experience on a daily basis.
‘Why We DJ – Slaves To The Rhythm’ provides an honest look at the lives of professional DJs from the point of view of the people subjected to a heavy schedule of travel, sleep deprivation and creative pressure, whilst constantly under the social media spotlight.
For the first time, the film examines how DJs can suffer from conditions such as imposter syndrome, opening up the discussion about the sometimes-dark places artists can easily find themselves in when they’re off stage.
Soundtrack (in order of appearance):
1. North Shore - B.Traits // In.Toto
2. The Magic Room (Dino Lenny & Seth Troxler Re-edit) - Dino Lenny & Doorly // Play It Say It
3. No Escape (Stephan Macias remix) - Fraser Stuart // Under No Illusion
3. Oenologue - Luciano // Cadenza Records
4. Fran Left Home - Luciano // Cadenza Records
5. Junkyard Tool - Seth Troxler // Tuskegee Music
6. Bloom - Robert Babicz (Oliver Schories remix) // Traum Schallplatten
7. Loving You (instr) - Lane 8 // Just Isn't Music
8. Middle - Ben Pearce // Different Records & PIAS
9. Transit - Ben Pearce // Different Records & PIAS
10. Death in Venice - TadlR // Armadillo Records
11. Curious Heart - Robert Babicz // Traum Schallplatten
12. Still Points - B.Traits // In.Toto